- Yes – possessing, producing and selling LSD is illegal in New York State ❌
- Having less than 1 milligram of LSD on you is a misdemeanor, but any more than that is a felony ⚠️
- Penalties range from probation to prison, depending on the offense 🧑⚖️
Is LSD Illegal in New York State?
First, let’s answer the question in short. Is LSD illegal in New York? Yes, it is against the law to possess or sell any amount of LSD in New York. Even storing a miniscule amount for personal use is considered criminal possession of a controlled substance in the 7th degree. Keep reading for details on penalties.
Psychedelic Drug Laws and LSD Possession Penalties
Is LSD illegal in New York? Possessing less than 1 milligram of LSD is classified as a class A misdemeanor in New York. You could be sentenced for up to 1 year in jail, or 3 years of probation if you were charged with the crime for the first time. More serious offenses are:
- Possessing more than 1 milligram of LSD: a class C felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
- Possessing more than 5 milligrams of LSD: a class B felony punishable by up to 25 years in prison.
- Possessing more than 25 milligrams of LSD: a class A-II felony punishable by up to a life sentence.
- Selling an unknown amount of LSD without current possession: a class D felony punishable by up to 7 years in prison.
- Knowingly selling 1 milligram of LSD or more: a class B felony punishable by up to 25 years in prison.
- Knowingly selling 5 milligrams of LSD or more: a class A-II felony punishable by up to a life sentence.
There are also more specific LSD crimes, such as selling drugs in a school zone, that carry severe consequences. As you can see, the penalties for possession of LSD are quite severe.
Did You Know… 🔍Last year, fentanyl was detected in many street drugs, leading to overdoses and deaths. It’s no wonder New York has such strict drug laws with how many tragic accidents have happened there as a result of illegal substance use. Some people argue that legalizing the substances would solve the problem of fentanyl-laced drugs, though.
Is LSD Legal to Use If You Don’t Possess More?
In the United States, you cannot be arrested or charged simply for having used LSD, as long as you don’t currently possess any. There is a strong possibility that police will investigate you if they suspect that you are under the influence of a controlled substance, but you cannot be arrested for having taken LSD. In conclusion, is LSD illegal in New York? Yes, LSD possession and sale is against the law in New York.
FAQs About Drug Laws in New York
What Drugs Are Illegal in New York?
Some drugs that are illegal in New York include methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, MDMA, and LSD. Chemicals that are used to manufacture them are also illegal to possess. Prescription stimulants, such as Adderall (amphetamine) are controlled substances and you could get in trouble for having them without prescription. Possessing less than 3 ounces of marijuana has been legal since 2021 for adults over 21 years old.
Is LSD a Felony in NY?
Possessing more than 1 milligram of LSD is always a felony in New York State. Manufacturing or selling the drug is usually more serious than storing it for personal usage.
What Is Possession of LSD in New York?
If you’re only caught with less than 1 milligram of lysergic acid diethylamide, you’ll be charged with a class A misdemeanor. The first punishment is usually probation – up to 3 years. Subsequent offenses may result in jail time.
Is It Legal to Be High in Public in NYC?
You can’t be charged for being high in public, but you can for smoking cannabis (or tobacco) in places where it’s not allowed. Anyway, if you were to take some LSD at home and get outside, the only illegal thing would have been the prior possession of the drug.
Does New York Allow Edibles?
Yes, it’s legal to take edible cannabis in New York for both medical and recreational purposes. While the effects are very different, marijuana is a much safer option than LSD from a legal standpoint.
- Is LSD Illegal in Texas? Penalties for Drug Possession
- LSD Laws: Penalties and Defenses for LSD Possession
- Is LSD Legal in Colorado? About Psychedelic Drug Laws
- Is LSD Legal in Washington State? Relevant Drug Laws
- Is LSD Legal in the US? Psychoactive Drug Laws & Penalties
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Vegas? Magic Mushrooms and Psilocybin in Nevada Law
- Are Magic Mushrooms Legal? Psilocybin Mushrooms Vs. Law in Different Countries. A Movement to Legalize Shrooms