Different types of magic mushrooms can be found all over the world. They have been used for centuries by cultures around the globe for their psychoactive properties. Magic mushrooms typically contain psilocybin and psilocin, which are psychedelic compounds that produce hallucinations and alter perception. What are the side effects of shrooms? Let’s find out.
What Are the Side Effects of Shrooms?
Psychedelic mushrooms, also known as shrooms, are a type of mushroom that contains natural psychoactive compounds. These compounds can cause hallucinations, altered states of consciousness, and changes in perception, mood, and thought.
While some people use psychedelic mushrooms for therapeutic or spiritual purposes, there is a risk of experiencing negative side effects. Some of the most common side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anxiety, and paranoia. More serious side effects can include psychosis and death. Therefore, it is important to be aware of the potential risks before consuming psychedelic mushrooms (or any other hallucinogens, like LSD):
The full list of side effects of shrooms include both physical effects and psychological effects:
- increased heart rate,
- dilation of the pupils,
- muscle weakness,
- abdominal cramps,
- changes in perception, mood, and thought.
More serious side effects:
- extreme anxiety or panic attacks,
Why Side Effects of Shrooms Can Be Dangerous?
Psychedelic mushrooms are known for their ability to produce powerful hallucinations. But like all drugs, they come with a risk of side effects. Some of these side effects can be dangerous. Here are some of the most common dangers associated with side effects of shrooms:
- Anxiety – many people report feeling anxious after taking hallucinogenic mushrooms. This is likely due to the fact that the drug can cause hallucinations and paranoia.
- Nausea – it is a common side effect of many drugs, including psilocybin. It is usually not severe and goes away after a short time. But in some cases, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting can lead to dehydration, which can be very dangerous to your health.
- Dizziness – psilocybin may cause dizziness, which can be dangerous if you are driving or operating machinery.
- Loss of coordination – they can also cause loss of coordination, which can lead to accidents.
- Muscle weakness – some people report feeling weak or unsteady after taking shrooms. This is likely due to the fact that the drug can cause dizziness and loss of coordination.
- Seizures – it is a rare but potentially serious side effect of psilocybin. If you experience a seizure, it is important to seek medical help immediately, as it can lead to accidents and even brain damage.
- Psychotic symptoms – in some cases, psilocybin can cause psychotic symptoms, such as paranoia and delusions. These symptoms can be especially dangerous if you have a history of mental illness. If you experience any psychotic symptoms after using psilocybin, it is important to seek medical help immediately.
Other Dangers of Magic Mushrooms
While on shrooms, you can put yourself in risky situations because the drug can impair your judgment. For example, you may take more of the drug than you intended to, or you may put yourself in danger by driving while under the influence of psilocybin.
The bottom line is that shrooms can cause a range of side effects, some of which can be dangerous. If you are considering taking hallucinogenic mushrooms, it is important to be aware of the risks. As with any drug, it is always best to talk to your doctor before taking anything.
Serotonin syndrome is a potentially life-threatening drug reaction that occurs when certain drugs are taken together. Serotonin is a chemical produced by the body that acts as a neurotransmitter, or messenger between nerve cells. When too much serotonin builds up in the body, it can cause problems ranging from mild to serious. It can also happen while ingesting magic mushrooms with different medications.
Addiction to Psilocybin Mushroom, Long-Term Effects
Taking magic mushrooms can lead to excessive drug use and addiction. People who abuse magic mushrooms often have mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety. People who take magic mushrooms may also develop some long-term effects and have difficulty thinking clearly, feeling confused, and seeing things that are not there. Some people who take magic mushrooms can become agitated, violent, and even psychotic.
If you or someone you know has a problem with drug abuse, it is important to get help right away. There are many treatment options available for people who abuse magic mushrooms. Treatment can help people stop using hallucinogenic drugs and avoid the serious side effects of magic mushrooms.
How to Avoid Side Effects of Shrooms?
When consuming magic mushrooms, it is important to be aware of the possibility of experiencing some negative side effects due to a high dose of psilocybin. Some of these side effects can be quite serious, so it is important to know how to avoid them.
One of the most common side effects of mushroom’s ingestion is stomach upset. This can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, which can be extremely uncomfortable and even dangerous. To avoid this, it is important to consume magic mushrooms with food. Eating before consuming the mushrooms can help to reduce the chance of stomach upset. Brewed mushrooms are less potent than dried ones.
Another common side effect of magic mushrooms is headaches. This is usually caused by the chemicals in the mushroom affecting the brain. To avoid this, it is important to drink plenty of water. Don’t drink alcohol and don’t take any other drugs or medications.
In some rare cases, mushrooms containing psilocybin can cause hallucinations. These can be very disturbing and even dangerous. If you do experience any hallucinations, it is important to seek medical help immediately. Finally, it is important to be aware that magic mushrooms can sometimes interact with other drugs. This can cause serious side effects, so it is important to check with your doctor before taking magic mushrooms if you are taking any other medication.
- Can You Overdose on Shrooms? Signs of Overdosing Psilocybin
- Are Shrooms Addictive? Psilocybin Mushrooms & Magic Mushrooms Addiction
- Can U Die From Shrooms? Psilocybin, Magic Mushrooms & Potential Danger
- Shrooms and Alcohol: Mixing Psilocybin With Magic Mushrooms Risks
- Zoloft and Shrooms. Combining Antidepressants With Magic Mushrooms
- Shrooms Dosage. How Much of Magic Mushrooms Is Enough? How Much of Psilocybin Can Lead to Overdose?
- Day After Shrooms: How People React the Following Day After Taking Magic Mushrooms. Is There a Hangover After Mushrooms?