There is a lot of debate surrounding LSD and its safety. Some people swear by the drug, claiming that it has had a profound positive impact on their lives. Others are convinced that it is incredibly dangerous. In reality, has anyone died from LSD? Let’s take a look at the evidence.
Documented Cases of LSD Overdose and Their Outcomes
Overdosing on LSD to the point of immediate death is practically impossible. The lethal dose of this hallucinogen is too high for anyone to ingest by themselves – before they got to that point, they would already be unconscious.
However, there have been cases of people taking too much LSD and experiencing severe psychological distress as a result. Some people may experience terrifying hallucinations and extreme paranoia, leading to confusion and the belief that they are in danger. LSD can also trigger mental illnesses like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and depression.
But has anyone died from LSD? Let’s take a look at the studied cases of people taking a lot of this drug:
- In 2020, a 46-year-old woman snorted 550 times the normal dose of LSD, thinking it was cocaine. She didn’t die, and her chronic foot pain was alleviated.
- A 15-year-old girl took 10 times the normal dose and had to be hospitalized overnight, but survived with no serious complications.
It seems that even the effects of LSD at high doses are more psychological than physical. While overdosing on LSD or another psychedelic drug can be a very unpleasant experience, it is unlikely to cause death in most cases.
Has Anyone Died From LSD?
To be more precise, has anyone died from LSD itself? No, there are no documented cases where LSD itself killed a person. Most physical complications occur when the drug interacts with medication or has been mixed with other illicit substances. LSD toxicity is difficult to study, and there are no documented cases of fatality.
Non-Suicidal People Committing Suicide on LSD
The above doesn’t mean that the psychedelic LSD is completely safe, though. Taking LSD can induce psychosis, which can lead to dangerous actions. There have been a few cases of people committing suicide while tripping on LSD. For example, a 22-year-old Singaporean man under the influence of LSD jumped out of a window in 2021. There was no evidence that he had suffered from depression or had suicidal thoughts before that.
So has anyone died from LSD? Can u die from LSD? Possibly, if you do it in a dangerous setting with nobody there to help you. But if you use it in a safe environment, lysergic acid diethylamide shouldn’t pose a fatal risk.
- Has Anyone Died From LSD? Studies of Overdose Cases
- Can LSD Put You in a Coma? Serious Effects of LSD Overdose
- Can You Overdose on Shrooms? Signs of Overdosing Psilocybin
- How Much LSD Is Too Much? Facts About LSD Overdose
- What Is the Lethal Dose of LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide)?
- Can You Overdose on LSD? | LSD Overdose and Bad Trips Explained
- Molly and Shrooms: How They Affect the Brain. Mixing MDMA & Psychedelic Mushrooms