“Are mushrooms legal in Mexico?” is not such an easy question to answer. Using them for spiritual purposes may not be a criminal offense. However, the sale, distribution, and manufacture of psychoactive substances is illegal. Learn more below.
- No, magic mushrooms aren’t technically legal in Mexico ❌
- Growing them on your property or selling them could get you in serious trouble ⚠️
- However, indigenous people are allowed to use mushrooms in their cultural or spiritual ceremonies. Tourists often take advantage of this fact by visiting the local cultures and participating in tours ✔️
Are Mushrooms Legal in Mexico? Drug Laws
Currently, it is illegal in Mexico to possess psychedelic mushrooms, but it’s not punishable in a native culture setting. So if you attend a ritual where Psilocybe is used for spiritual purposes, you’re not committing a crime.
Growing, distributing and selling magic mushrooms is illegal in Mexico. However, grow kits, spores and mycelium are legal. You could grow the mushrooms outdoors in a forest and not be punished for it – the cultivation laws couldn’t be enforced.
The country’s relationship with these drugs is changing. The Mexican government states that all natural psychedelics, including psilocybin mushrooms, are to be considered controlled substances. This means that while it is not currently illegal to possess or use psychedelic mushrooms in Mexico, the government is taking steps to regulate their use.
In addition, drug addicts who possess narcotics for personal use (in a quantity that corresponds to it), aren’t punished by law. People who aren’t addicted but are caught for the first time won’t be punished either.
Magic Mushroom Tourism in Mexico
Psychedelic mushrooms containing psilocybin are commonly found in Mexico and are used in traditional ceremonies by some indigenous groups. In recent years, there has been an increase in tourism to Mexico specifically for the purpose of using psychedelic mushrooms.
These tours typically take place in the southern state of Oaxaca, where the use of psychedelic mushrooms is part of the local culture. Many of these tour operators are based in the United States, and they often advertise their tours online.
While there is currently no law specifically prohibiting the use of psychedelic mushrooms in Mexico, it’s important to be aware that the legal status of these drugs can change at any time. For the most up-to-date information, it is advisable to contact a lawyer or legal expert when trying to find out: “are mushrooms legal in Mexico?”.
Did You Know… 🔍One of the most known “magic mushroom towns” is San Jose del Pacifico, which hosts 15,000–20,000 tourists per year. For comparison, there are about 700 locals who live there permanently. Some of them are not happy about the tourism!
How Do Psychedelic Mushrooms Work?
Psychedelic mushrooms work by causing changes in the brain. Psilocybin binds to serotonin receptors and causes a release of the neurotransmitter serotonin. This can lead to changes in mood, perception, and consciousness.
The effects of psychedelic mushrooms typically last for 4–6 hours, depending on the dose. When taken in high doses, psychedelic mushrooms can cause intense hallucinations and out-of-body experiences.
What Are the Risks of Taking Psychedelic Mushrooms?
Psychedelic mushrooms can cause a number of adverse effects, including anxiety, paranoia, and delusions. In some cases, people have experienced life-threatening reactions to psychedelic mushrooms. It is important to be aware of the risks before taking these substances.
If you are considering taking psychedelic mushrooms, it is important to do your research and speak with a medical professional. Whether more studies on this topic will change the answer to the question “are mushrooms legal in Mexico?” remains to be seen.
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Vegas? Magic Mushrooms and Psilocybin in Nevada Law
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Chicago? Dangerous Shrooms
- Are Magic Mushrooms Legal? Psilocybin Mushrooms Vs. Law in Different Countries. A Movement to Legalize Shrooms
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Amsterdam? What Are the Differences Between Magic Mushrooms and Magic Truffles?
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Costa Rica? Use of Magic Mushrooms
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Santa Cruz? Psilocybin Use in California
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Jamaica? Different Types of Shrooms