Psychedelics have been around for centuries, with various purposes and effects. In this post, we’ll take a look at some of the most profound psychedelic quotes from historical figures like Terence McKenna and Timothy Leary, and others. Let’s get started!
Psychedelics have been used for a variety of purposes since the dawn of time. The ancient Egyptians used them for religious ceremonies, while the Native Americans used them for spiritual healing. In the modern era, psychedelics have been used for a wide range of purposes, from treating mental illnesses to helping people achieve higher states of consciousness. Psychedelics are powerful substances that can have profound effects on the mind and body.
Terence McKenna Psychedelic Quotes
Terence McKenna was an American writer, philosopher, and ethnobotanist who championed the exploration of psychedelics. He advocated for the responsible use of these substances in order to expand consciousness and promote personal growth. McKenna’s writing offers insights into a wide range of topics, including mysticism, shamanism, language, and technology.
In addition to his prolific literary output, McKenna was also a popular speaker, lecturing extensively on psychedelics and their potential for expanding human consciousness. Though he passed away in 2000, McKenna’s ideas continue to inspire many people around the world who are interested in altered states of consciousness. His work continues to be relevant in today’s climate of increasing acceptance of psychedelics for therapeutic purposes.
- “We have to create culture, don’t watch TV, don’t read magazines, don’t even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow.”
- “Culture is not your friend.”
- “The only way to change things is to sink yourself in them until the change occurs.”
- “If you don’t have a plan, you become part of somebody else’s plan.”
- “I see the psychedelic experience as a birthright, and we can’t have a free society until people are free to explore their own mind.”
- “Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of third story windows. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behavior and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.”
- “Through psychedelics we are learning that God is not an idea, God is a lost continent in the human mind. That continent has been rediscovered in a time of great peril for ourselves and our world. Is this coincidence, synchronicity, or a cruelly meaningless juxtaposition of hope and ruin?”
Timothy Leary Quotes
Timothy Leary was an American psychologist and author who became a leading figure in the 1960s counterculture movement. He is best known for his advocacy of the use of psychedelic drugs, which he believed could be used to expand consciousness and promote personal and spiritual growth.
Leary’s work helped to popularize psychedelics such as LSD, and he also conducted research into their potential therapeutic applications. While some of his ideas were later discredited, Leary remains an iconic figure in the history of psychedelics. His work continues to inspire both scientific research and recreational use of these substances.
- “LSD is a psychedelic drug which occasionally causes psychotic behavior in people who have NOT taken it.”
- “Whether you experience heaven or hell, remember that it is your mind which creates them.”
- “Any reality is an opinion-we make up our own reality.”
- “I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”
- “The fact of the matter is that all apparent forms of matter and body are momentary clusters of energy. We are little more than flickers on a multidimensional television screen. This realization directly experienced can be delightful. You suddenly wake up from the delusion of separate form and hook up to the cosmic dance. Consciousness slides along the wave matrices, silently at the speed of light.”
Quotes About Experience on Psychedelics
Many people find psychedelics to be profoundly life-changing experiences that offer profound insights into both the nature of reality and their own personal lives. For some, these experiences may be temporary, while for others they may be ongoing or even permanent.
- “That’s why I always recommend a psychedelic experience because it makes you realize that all you’ve learned is in fact just learned and not necessarily the truth.” ~ Bill Hicks
- “It’s a very salutary thing to realize that the rather dull universe in which most of us spend most of our time is not the only universe there is. I think it’s healthy that people should have this experience.” ~ Aldous Huxley
- “Consciousness is a tricky thing.” A.D. Aliwat
- “You, being nothing but awareness, are the stage—the only stage—on which, not to whom, life is happening.” ~ Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “If you want to have fun, take them (psychedelics) alone or with friends and spend the day in a beautiful setting. If you want to learn something about yourself and your relationships, take them with a therapist.” ~ Rick Strassman
Quotes About Psychedelics and People
Psychedelics often cause their users to feel united with nature and people. It’s as if they unlocked some previously hidden, but essential, part of reality. There is a significant amount of people who advocate, people would actually benefit from using psychedelics. This is because, as well as potentially providing therapeutic benefits, psychedelics could also help users to become more self-aware and introspective.
- “When free from the confines of our normal identity, we are able to look at life, and the often repetitive stories we tell about it, with fresh eyes. Come Monday morning, we may still clamber back into the monkey suits of our everyday roles – parent, spouse, employee, boss, neighbor – but, by then, we know they’re just costumes with zippers.” ~ Steven Kotler
- “To hold sovereign and exclusive ownership of one’s own conscious mind, to explore freely and without boundary, is surely the most fundamental of human rights. Third party intrusion into this wholly personal territory is a grievous breach of this inalienable freedom.” ~ Dominic Milton Trott
Quotes About Psychedelics
Psychedelics are a wonder, and the experience they provide is one of a kind. They offer a way to see the world and reality in a completely different light, and can provide insights that would otherwise be unavailable. Psychedelics have been used for centuries by cultures all over the world for religious and spiritual purposes, and more recently, they’ve been studied for their potential therapeutic benefits.
- “The potential of the psychedelic drugs to provide access to the interior universe, is, I believe, their most valuable property.” ~ Alexander Shulgin
- “To fall in hell, or soar angelic, you need a pinch of psychedelic.” ~ Humphry Osmond
- “If life wasn’t real it would be the craziest psychedelic trip ever.” ~ Joe Rogan
- “Surrealism to me is reality. Psychedelic vision is reality to me and always was.” ~ John Lennon
- “I don’t think psychedelics are the answer to the world’s problems, but they could be a start.” ~ Sting
Quotes About the Legality of Psychedelics
Whether we like it, or not, psychedelics are illegal. Why exactly though? It’s not like they’re being used to hurt anyone, on the contrary, many believe that they have the potential to heal. Some countries have already recognized this and have decriminalized or even legalized the use of certain psychedelics. So, what’s holding the rest of the world back?
- “What if, through responsible exploration with psychedelics, we free our minds? Free-thinkers are more difficult to manipulate and control, which begs the question: Why are psychedelics illegal?” ~ Zoe Helene
- “We must always remember to thank the CIA and the Army for LSD, by the way. Everything is the opposite of what it is, isn’t it? They brought out LSD to control people, and what they did was give us freedom.” ~ John Lennon
- “I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police.” ~ Keith Richards
As clearly seen, psychedelics provoke plenty of thoughts, and self-retrospection. They offer a way for us to see life from a different perspective, and often help people come to realizations about themselves that they never would have otherwise. Psychedelics can be powerful tools for self-discovery and personal growth. If you’re considering taking psychedelics, make sure you do your research and understand the potential risks involved. And always remember to approach them with respect and an open mind.
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Oregon? Psilocybin Therapy, Legalization of Magic Mushrooms and More
- Shrooms DC: The Legal Status of Magic Mushrooms in Washington, DC
- Microdosing Psychedelics: Challenges and Effectiveness of Microdosing
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Canada? What Is the Legal Status of Magic Mushrooms? Psilocybin Use & Cultivation
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Chicago? Dangerous Shrooms
- Here Are Albino Penis Envy Mushrooms: Unique and Highly Potent Magic Mushrooms
- Are Mushrooms Legal in Costa Rica? Use of Magic Mushrooms